Recurrent miscarriage, or recurrent pregnancy loss, is defined as three (or more) consecutive miscarriages prior to the 20th week of your pregnancy. At Fertility Solutions, we understand that experiencing a miscarriage can be a painful, difficult experience on its own, and that recurrent miscarriage multiplies that pain and difficulty.
Recurrent miscarriage patients come to our practice with deep-felt concerns about whether they will be able to successfully carry a pregnancy to delivery, and what treatment options are best suited to ensure success. We work with patients one-on-one to help alleviate these concerns and prepare a treatment plan that best fits your situation.
What causes recurrent miscarriage?
• A hormonal imbalance
• Chromosomal abnormalities (genetic condition)
• Maternal anatomical abnormalities
• Unknown cause
What treatment options are available for recurrent miscarriage?
• Fertility medication(s) to correct a hormonal imbalance
• Lifestyle changes such as diet and/or exercise
• Surgery to correct an anatomical abnormality
• Preimplantation genetic diagnosis (PGD) in conjunction with in vitro fertilization (IVF) to remove an inherited genetic condition or chromosomal abnormality
• Medication to ward off infection and/or inflammation
It’s not your fault
Many women believe that they are somehow at fault for having miscarried. They worry that they miscarried because of something they ate or drank, traveled on a plane, had a beauty treatment, exercised, took a road trip, or any other routine and likely entirely innocuous activity that they associate with their pregnancy loss. These normal activities likely have little to nothing to do with miscarriage. Outside of injury or medication, the clear majority of miscarriages are medical in nature, meaning there was nothing the patient could have done differently to avoid losing a pregnancy.
Please note: You do not need to experience three or more miscarriages before consulting with a fertility specialist. You can request a consultation whenever you are ready to do so. We offer fertility testing services that include a basic evaluation of infertility, PCOS and endometriosis testing, ovulation testing, and, of course, recurrent miscarriage diagnosis and treatment plans.
To learn more about miscarriage and miscarriage treatment, please read:
• Pregnancy and Infant Loss Awareness Day (October 15th)
• Pregnancy and Infant Loss Awareness Month
• Fertility Solutions Offers Three Affordable IVF with PGD Plans