Remember when Valentine’s Day entailed sexy preparations, weeks-ahead reservations, and scintillating overnight stays? Then, you started down the fertility treatment journey…and boy, can that make a world of difference in how a couple celebrates (or wants to hide from) Valentine’s Day “obligations.”
Maybe this year, it’s time to take a fresh perspective on Valentine’s Day. Instead of feeling pressure or obligation, take sex and romance out of the equation and focus on connection and inspiration.
If you’re feeling overwhelmed or exhausted (or you’re experiencing fertility treatment burnout), it’s time to refill the energy coffers. Nourish your body, mind, and spirit in these days leading up to Valentine’s Day by:
- Getting all the rest you need (cutting out activities you resent or don’t want to do)
- Eating your favorite nourishing foods
- Spending time outdoors as the weather allows
- Detoxing from social media
The more rested and rejuvenated you are, the more energy you have for your partner.
Flip the script this Valentine’s Day. Instead of seeking romance (or – much worse – forcing it), look for fun, adventurous and playful things you can do together. The more you laugh and lighten up, the more connected you’ll feel.
- Just Smash It. Together, you two probably have all kinds of pent-up emotions waiting to come out in a Smash Room. Avon’s Just Smash It is the perfect location to let ‘em rip! Choose your weapon (baseball bat, sledgehammer, crowbar, etc.) and then go to town in one of their choice Smash Rooms.
- Urban Axes. Along those same lines, you can also check out Somerville’s Urban Axes. They have a Valentine’s Day special, so there’s no time like the present to burn some calories, vent some emotion, and bond over the age-old ritual of throwing axes at targets.
- The Dinner Detective. Have you always wanted to attend one of those “who dunnit” parties? Now you can enjoy dinner and a show at The Dinner Detective. At The Dinner Detective Murder Mystery Dinner Show, you’ll tackle a challenging crime while feasting on a fantastic dinner. Just beware! The criminal is lurking somewhere in the room, and you may find yourself as a Prime Suspect before you know it.
- Ghosts & Gravestones Tour. Whether you are a tourist or a Boston local, taking part in a Ghosts & Gravestones tour is a must. While daytime tours are available, we recommend waiting until sunset when the excitement ramps up that much more. Guided by a ghoulish band of the undead and a roguish gravedigger, the Trolley of Terror will go back in time as you relive grisly murders, heinous torturings, and cold-blooded executions like the ones that took place on the Boston Commons.
Maybe this year is the one to ditch the candlelight and string quartet and do something creative instead.
The best lifetime partnerships stand firmly on the foundation of Friendship. If this year’s fertility roller coaster has you feeling less romantic than usual, that’s okay. However, never lose sight of the fact that your partner is your future child’s father/mother, and that child deserves parents who are the best of friends and have each others’ backs.
This year, celebrate “Palentine’s Day,” and honor all of the ways your mate is your best pal. Take a walk down memory lane, share stories about what makes your relationship tick, and then celebrate that as all good friends do – with comfy clothes, favorite snacks, and a dance party, or movie marathon, or a slumber party, a long walk with the dog, a stroll through a favorite book store – or whatever it is you two enjoy doing most together.
The team at Fertility Solutions hopes you and your partner can take a break from TTC and rekindle your connection with laughter, fun, and ease.