Fertility Solutions recently held a very informative and fun evening of interactive discussion on various infertility topics presented by Dr. Vasiliki Moragianni. This is Part 2 of our series of blog posts answering the questions posed at the seminar.
The question asked is a very timely one as Dr. Moragianni just wrote a blog post for Resolve (the National Infertility Association) on exactly that topic. Here are the main take-home messages regarding this topic:
- All women trying to conceive should be on a daily prenatal vitamin, containing at least 400mcg of folic acid. This is to help neural tube defects of the developing pregnancy.
- It is okay to drink 1-2 cups (250 grams) of caffeine a day but make sure you include all sources of caffeine when estimating your consumption.
- Avoid smoking, including second-hand exposure.
- You can consume up to 1 drink a day safely but as soon as you find out you are pregnant you should discontinue any alcohol use.
- No concrete evidence exists on the benefits/risks of: any particular diet (vegetarian, vegan, low fat) or supplement (antioxidants, herbal remedies). However, you should inform your physician of any supplements (over the counter vitamins/minerals, Chinese herbs/medications, “muscle enhancers,” “energy boosters,” etc.) that you and/or your partner are taking so they can let you know if you can continue.For more detailed information on supplements and infertility treatments, sign up for our next free seminar!